Gross out city: the butter we used to spread on tonight's bread had mold at the bottom of its serving dish. A quick read on various websites told us we will not die or become sick of botulism or other scary ailments. The only symptoms to look for (according to one website) are gagging, nausea and vomiting from the smell and taste of mold. We didn't smell or taste any mold, which gives me hope that the mold was at the bottom of the Butter Bell dish rather than on its way to our greedy open mouths.
I already felt queasy from seeing the guts drip out of our large prawns at dinner ("adventurous eating" I chirped, with a cringe). I grumpily told my husband he was not seeing grey in our butter, two times. Note to self, I do not need to be such a bee-atch at dinner, even if he won't turn off the "news" (I could hear from the kitchen that it was ESPN Zone, does he think I'm deaf?) and help get dinner to the table.
The reason we had mold in our Butter Bell is I didn't read online the part about putting fresh, cool water at the base, which will keep the butter fresh if changed out every 3 days. I don't remember the Butter Bell box even having directions that included the water step. I should've researched further, rather than smugly thinking my way was the best way. Guess I'll take the chore of changing out the water every 3 days, unless I toss the Butter Bell and revert to our butter-in-a-dish-in-the-fridge days.